Related articles in JMB
Food Biotechnology (FB) | Food Biotechnology
Detoxification of Aflatoxin B1 Contaminated Maize Using Human CYP3A4
Division of Signal Responses, Biosignal Research Center, Kobe University, Nada, Kobe, 657-8501, JapanCorrespondence to:
Received: March 18, 2020; Accepted: May 11, 2020
J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2020; 30(8): 1207-1213
Published August 28, 2020
Copyright © The Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology.
Aflatoxin B1 (AFB1) is a mycotoxin produced by Aspergillus flavus (A. flavus). AFB1 is reported to have high thermal stability and is not decomposed by heat treatment during food processing. Therefore, in this study, knowing that AFB1 is metabolized by cytochrome P450 (CYP), our aim was to develop a method to detoxify A. flavus-contaminated maize, under normal temperature and pressure, using Escherichia coli expressing human CYP3A4. First, the metabolic activity of AFB1 by recombinant human CYP3A4 was evaluated. As a result, we confirmed that recombinant human CYP3A4 metabolizes 98% of AFB1. Next, we found that aflatoxin Q1, a metabolite of AFB1 was no longer mutagenic. Furthermore, we revealed that about 50% of the AFB1 metabolic activity can be maintained for 3 months when E. coli expressing human CYP3A4 is freeze-dried in the presence of trehalose. Finally, we found that 80% of AFB1 in A. flavus-contaminated maize was metabolized by E. coli expressing human CYP3A4 in the presence of surfactant triton X-405 at a final concentration of 10% (v/v). From these results, we conclude that AFB1 in A. flavus-contaminated maize can be detoxified under normal temperature and pressure by using E. coli expressing human CYP3A4.
Aflatoxin B1, detoxification, cytochrome P450, CYP3A4
- Benkerroum N. 2019. Retrospective and prospective look at aflatoxin research and development from a practical standpoint. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 16: 3633.
- Spanjer MC, Rensen PM, Scholten JM. 2008. LC-MS/MS multi-method for mycotoxins after single extraction, with validation data for peanut, pistachio, wheat, maize, cornflakes, raisins and figs. Food Addit. Contam. Part A Chem. Anal. Control Expo. Risk Assess. 25: 472-489.
- Spencer Smith J, Paul Williams W, Windham GL. 2019. Aflatoxin in maize: a review of the early literature from "moldy-corn toxicosis" to the genetics of aflatoxin accumulation resistance. Mycotoxin Res. 35: 111-128.
- Norlia M, Nor-Khaizura MAR, Selamat J, Abu Bakar F, Radu S, Chin CK. 2018. Evaluation of aflatoxin and Aspergillus sp. contamination in raw peanuts and peanut-based products along this supply chain in Malaysia. Food Addit. Contam. Part A Chem. Anal. Control Expo. Risk Assess. 35: 1787-1802.
- Raters M, Matissek R. 2008. Thermal stability of aflatoxin B1 and ochratoxin A. Mycotoxin Res. 24: 130-134.
- Luo X, Wang R, Wang L, Li Y, Wang Y, Chen Z. 2014. Detoxification of aflatoxin in corn flour by ozone. J. Sci. Food Agric. 94: 22532258.
- Womack ED, Brown AE, Sparks DL. 2014. A recent review of non-biological remediation of aflatoxin-contaminated crops. J. Sci. Food Agric. 94: 1706-1714.
- Wild CP, Turner PC. 2002. The toxicology of aflatoxins as a basis for public health decisions. Mutagenesis 17: 471-481.
- Imaishi H, Goto T. 2018. Effect of genetic polymorphism of human CYP2B6 on the metabolic activation of chlorpyrifos. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 144: 42-48.
- Pelkonen O, Turpeinen M, Hakkola J, Honkakoski P, Hukkanen J, Raunio H. 2008. Inhibition and induction of human cytochrome P450 enzymes: current status. Arch. Toxicol. 82: 667-715.
- Tornio A, Backman JT. 2018. Cytochrome P450 in pharmacogenetics: an update. Adv. Pharmacol. 83: 3-32.
- Evans WE, Relling MV. 1999. Pharmacogenomics: translating functional genomics into rational therapeutics. Science 286: 487-491.
- Werk AN, Cascorbi I. 2014. Functional gene variants of CYP3A4. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 96: 340-348.
- Zanger UM, Schwab M. 2013. Cytochrome P450 enzymes in drug metabolism: regulation of gene expression, enzyme activities, and impact of genetic variation. Pharmacol. Ther. 138: 103-141.
- Wang H, Dick R, Yin H, Licad-Coles E, Kroetz DL, Szklarz G, et al. 1998. Structure-function relationships of human liver cytochromes P450 3A: aflatoxin B1 metabolism as a probe. Biochemistry 37: 12536-12545.
- Kamdem LK, Meineke I, Godtel-Armbrust U, Brockmoller J, Wojnowski L. 2006. Dominant contribution of P450 3A4 to the hepatic carcinogenic activation of aflatoxin B1. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 19: 577-586.
- Yamamoto R, Muroi K, Imaishi H. 2018. Serum derived from ulcerative colitis mouse changes the metabolism of the fluorescent substrate by P450 depending on the degree of disease progression. Chem. Biol. Interact. 290: 88-98.
- Imaishi H, Petkova-Andonova M. 2007. Molecular cloning of CYP76B9, a cytochrome P450 from Petunia hybrida, catalyzing the omega-hydroxylation of capric acid and lauric acid. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 71: 104-113.
- Hamer B, Bihari N, Reifferscheid G, Zahn RK, Muller WE, Batel R. 2000. Evaluation of the SOS/umu-test post-treatment assay for the detection of genotoxic activities of pure compounds and complex environmental mixtures. Mutat. Res. 466: 161-171.
- Wang P, Chang PK, Kong Q, Shan S, Wei Q. 2019. Comparison of aflatoxin production of Aspergillus flavus at different temperatures and media: Proteome analysis based on TMT. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 310: 108313.
- Walton M, Egner P, Scholl PF, Walker J, Kensler TW, Groopman JD. 2001. Liquid chromatography electrospray-mass spectrometry of urinary aflatoxin biomarkers: characterization and application to dosimetry and chemoprevention in rats. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 14:919-926.
- Johnson WW, Guengerich FP. 1997. Reaction of aflatoxin B1 exo-8,9-epoxide with DNA: kinetic analysis of covalent binding and DNA-induced hydrolysis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94: 6121-6125.
- Kamdem L, Meineke I, Godtel-Armbrust U, Brockmoller J, Wojnowski L. 2006. Dominant contribution of P450 3A4 to the hepatic carcinogenic activation of aflatoxin B-1. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 19: 577-586.
- Guimaraes D, Noro J, Silva C, Cavaco-Paulo A, Nogueira E. 2019. Protective effect of Saccharides on freeze-dried liposomes encapsulating drugs. Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 7: 424.
- Prestrelski SJ, Tedeschi N, Arakawa T, Carpenter JF. 1993. Dehydration-induced conformational transitions in proteins and their inhibition by stabilizers. Biophys. J. 65: 661-671.
- Leslie S, Israeli E, Lighthart B, Crowe J, Crowe L. 1995. T Trehalose and sucrose protect both membranes and proteins in intact bacteria during drying. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61: 3592-3597.
- Kankaapaa P, Tuomola E, El-Nezami H, Ahokas J, Salminen S. 2000. Binding of aflatoxin B-1 alters the adhesion properties of Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain GG in a Caco-2 model. J. Food Prot. 63: 412-414.
- Schnaitman C. 1971. Effect of Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, triton X-100, and lysozyme on the morphology and chemical composition of isolated cell walls of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 108: 553-563.
- Chen G, Wang M, Tian X, Wu Z. 2018. Analyses of Monascus pigment secretion and cellular morphology in non-ionic surfactant micelle aqueous solution. Microb. Biotechnol. 11: 409-419.