Related articles in JMB
A Bioactive Fraction from Streptomyces sp. Enhances Maize Tolerance against Drought Stress
1Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, College of Applied Medical Sciences, Al-Qurayyat, Jouf University, Saudi Arabia, 2Department of Botany and Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Beni-Suef University, 62521, Beni-Suef, Egypt, 3Department of Botany and Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, 12613, Giza, Egypt, 4Department of Biology, College of Science and Arts at Khulis, University of Jeddah, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 5Botany Department, Faculty of Science, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt, 6Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, College of Applied Medical Sciences, Jouf University, Sakaka, P.O. 2014, Saudi Arabia, 7Botany Department, Faculty of Science, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt, 8Biology Department, Faculty of Science at Yanbu, Taibah University, King Khalid Rd., Al Amoedi, 46423, Yanbu El-Bahr, Saudi ArabiaCorrespondence to:
J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2020; 30(8): 1156-1168
Published August 28, 2020
Copyright © The Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- Ullah A, Nisar M, Ali H, Hazrat A, Hayat K, Keerio AA, et al. 2019. Drought tolerance improvement in plants: an endophytic bacterial approach. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 103: 7385-7397.
- Mathobo R, Marais D, Steyn JM. 2017. The effect of drought stress on yield, leaf gaseous exchange and chlorophyll fluorescence of dry beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Agric. Water Manag. 180: 118-125.
- Falkenmark M. 2013. Growing water scarcity in agriculture: future challenge to global water security. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 371: 20120410.
- Barnawal D, Singh R, Singh RP. 2019. Role of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria in drought tolerance: Regulating growth hormones and osmolytes. In PGPR Amelioration in Sustainable Agriculture. pp. 107-128. Woodhead Publishing.
- Brown ME, Funk CC. 2008. Food security under climate change. Science 319: 580-581.
- Oerke E-C, Dehne H-W, Schönbeck F, Weber A. 2012. Crop production and crop protection: estimated losses in major food and cash crops. 1st Ed. Elsevier.
- Al Jaouni S, Saleh AM, Wadaan MAM, Hozzein WN, Selim S, AbdElgawad H. 2018. Elevated CO2 induces a global metabolic change in basil ( Ocimum basilicum L.) and peppermint (Mentha piperita L.) and improves their biological activity. J. Plant Physiol. 224-225:121-131.
- Loutfy N, Azooz M, Abou Alhamd M. 2020. Exogenously-applied salicylic acid and ascorbic acid modulate some physiological traits and antioxidative defense system in Zea mays L. seedlings under drought stress. Egypt. J. Bot. 60: 313-324.
- Karnwal A. 2019. Screening, isolation and characterization of culturable stress-tolerant bacterial endophytes associated with Salicornia brachiata and their effect on wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and maize (Zea mays) growth. J. Plant Prot. Res. 59: 293-303.
- Barbosa DD, Brito SL, Fernandes PD, Fernandes-Júnior PI, Lima LM. 2018. Can Bradyrhizobium strains inoculation reduce water deficit effects on peanuts? World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 34: 87.
- Hussain HA, Men S, Hussain S, Chen Y, Ali S, Zhang S, et al. 2019. Interactive effects of drought and heat stresses on morphophysiological attributes, yield, nutrient uptake and oxidative status in maize hybrids. Sci. Rep. 9: 3890.
- Masood A, Hussain Mughal A, Mahdi Dar Z, Asif M, Ahamd Malik M. 2018. Review on drought tolerance in plants induced by plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. Appl. Sci. 7: 412.
- Mancosu N, Snyder RL, Kyriakakis G, Spano D. 2015. Water scarcity and future challenges for food production. Water (Switzerland). 7: 975-992.
- Cominelli E, Conti L, Tonelli C, Galbiati M. 2013. Challenges and perspectives to improve crop drought and salinity tolerance. N. Biotechnol. 30: 355-361.
- Niu X, Song L, Xiao Y, Ge W. 2018. Drought-tolerant plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria associated with foxtail millet in a semiarid agroecosystem and their potential in alleviating drought stress. Front. Microbiol. 8: 2580.
- Yandigeri MS, Meena KK, Singh D, Malviya N, Singh DP, Solanki MK, et al. 2012. Drought-tolerant endophytic actinobacteria promote growth of wheat (Triticum aestivum) under water stress conditions. Plant Growth Regul. 68: 411-420.
- Yehia RS, Osman GH, Assaggaf H, Salem R, Mohamed MSM. 2020. Isolation of potential antimicrobial metabolites from endophytic fungus Cladosporium cladosporioides from endemic plant Zygophyllum mandavillei. S. Afr. J. Bot. [in-press] doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2020.02.033 .
- Timmusk S, Behers L, Muthoni J, Muraya A, Aronsson A-C. 2017. Perspectives and challenges of microbial application for crop improvement. Front. Plant Sci. 8: 49.
- Tawfik, M., Ibrahim, N., Balah, M., Abouzeid, M. 2019. Evaluation of bacteria from soil and rhizosphere as herbicidal candidates of some broadleaf weeds. Egypt. J. Bot. 59: 283-291.
- Selim S, Hassan YM, Saleh AM, Habeeb TH, AbdElgawad H. 2019. Actinobacterium isolated from a semi-arid environment improves the drought tolerance in maize (Zea mays L.). Plant Physiol. Biochem. 142: 15-21.
- Mengual C, Schoebitz M, Caravaca F, Roldán A. 2016. Assessment of the potential role of Streptomyces strains in the revegetation of semiarid sites: the relative incidence of strain origin and plantation site on plant performance and soil quality indicators. Biol. Fertil. Soils 52: 53-64.
- Ardakani MR, Mazaheri D, Mafakheri S, Moghaddam A. 2011. Absorption efficiency of N, P, K through triple inoculation of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) by Azospirillum brasilense, Streptomyces sp., Glomus intraradices and manure application. Physiol. Mol. Biol. Plants. 17: 181-192.
- Naseem H, Ahsan M, Shahid MA, Khan N. 2018. Exopolysaccharides producing rhizobacteria and their role in plant growth and drought tolerance. J. Basic Microbiol. 58: 1009-1022.
- Solans M, Vobis G, Cassán F, Luna V, Wall LG. 2011. Production of phytohormones by root-associated saprophytic actinomycetes isolated from the actinorhizal plant Ochetophila trinervis. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 27: 2195.
- Marques ACR, de Oliveira LB, Nicoloso FT, Jacques RJS, Giacomini SJ, de Quadros FLF. 2017. Biological nitrogen fixation in C4 grasses of different growth strategies of South America natural grasslands. Appl. Soil Ecol. 113: 54-62.
- Rodriguez H, Gonzalez T, Goire I, Bashan Y. 2004. Gluconic acid production and phosphate solubilization by the plant growthpromoting bacterium Azospirillum spp. Naturwissenschaften 91: 552-555.
- Hasanuzzaman M, Nahar K, Gill SS, Fujita M. Drought stress responses in plants, oxidative stress, and antioxidant defense Climate change and plant abiotic stress tolerance. N Tuteja and S S Gill, ed. pp. 209-205. John Wiley & Sons, Weinheim, Germany.
- Fukami J, Ollero FJ, Megías M, Hungria M. 2017. Phytohormones and induction of plant-stress tolerance and defense genes by seed and foliar inoculation with Azospirillum brasilense cells and metabolites promote maize growth. AMB Express. 7: 153.
- Naveed M, Mitter B, Reichenauer TG, Wieczorek K, Sessitsch A. 2014. Increased drought stress resilience of maize through endophytic colonization by Burkholderia phytofirmans PsJN and Enterobacter sp. FD17. Environ. Exp. Bot. 97: 30-39.
- Waksman SA. 1962. The Actinomyeetes: Volnme II: Classification, Identification and Descriptions of Genera and Species. Med. J. Aust. 1: 134.
- Haefner B. 2003. Drugs from the deep: marine natural products as drug candidates. Drug Discovery Today 8: 536-544.
- Shirling EBT, Gottlieb D, others. 1966. Methods for characterization of Streptomyces species. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 16(3): 313-340.
- Sneath PHA, Wellington EMH, Goodfellow M, Alderson G, Sackin MJ, Williams ST. 2009. Numerical classification of Streptomyces and related genera. Microbiology 129: 1743.
- CLSI. Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility test: Approved atandard. Vol. 322012.
- Gordon SA, Weber RP. 1951. Colorimetric estimation of indoleacetic acid. Plant Physiol. 26: 192.
- Schwyn B, Neilands JB. 1987. Universal chemical assay for the detection and determination of siderophores. Anal. Biochem. 160: 4756.
- Mohamed MSM, El-Arabi NI, El-Hussein A, El-Maaty SA, Abdelhadi AA. 2020. Reduction of chromium-VI by chromium-resistant Escherichia coli FACU: a prospective bacterium for bioremediation. Folia Microbiol. (Praha). 65: 687-696.
- Jambunathan N. Determination and detection of reactive oxygen species (ROS), lipid peroxidation, and electrolyte leakage in plants Plant Stress Tolerance. pp. 291-297. Springer.
- Levine RL, Williams JA, Stadtman ER, Shacter E. 1994. Carbonyl assays for determination of oxidatively modified proteins. Methods Enzymol. 233: 346-357.
- Murphy ME, Noack E. 1994. Nitric oxide assay using hemoglobin method. Methods Enzymol. 233: 240-250.
- Hamad I, AbdElgawad H, Al Jaouni S, Zinta G, Asard H, Hassan S, et al. 2015. Metabolic analysis of various date palm fruit (Phoenix dactylifera L.) cultivars from Saudi Arabia to assess their nutritional quality. Molecules 20: 13620.
- AbdElgawad H, Peshev D, Zinta G, den Ende W, Janssens IA, Asard H. 2014. Climate extreme effects on the chemical composition of temperate grassland species under ambient and elevated CO2: a comparison of fructan and non-fructan accumulators. PLoS One. 9:e92044.
- Sinha AK, Giblen T, AbdElgawad H, De Rop M, Asard H, Blust R, et al. 2013. Regulation of amino acid metabolism as a defensive strategy in the brain of three freshwater teleosts in response to high environmental ammonia exposure. Aquat. Toxicol. 130: 86-96.
- Torras-Claveria L, Berkov S, Codina C, Viladomat F, Bastida J. 2014. Metabolomic analysis of bioactive Amaryllidaceae alkaloids of ornamental varieties of Narcissus by GC-MS combined with k-means cluster analysis. Ind. Crops Prod. 56: 211-222.
- Potters G, Horemans N, Bellone S, Caubergs RJ, Trost P, Guisez Y, et al. 2004. Dehydroascorbate influences the plant cell cycle through a glutathione-independent reduction mechanism. Plant Physiol. 134: 1479-1487.
- Siebert KJ. 1999. Modeling the flavor thresholds of organic acids in beer as a function of their molecular properties. Food Qual. Prefer. 10: 129-137.
- Abdelgawad H, Saleh AM, Al S, Selim S, Hassan MO, Wadaan MAM, et al. 2019. Utilization of actinobacteria to enhance the production and quality of date palm ( Phoenix dactylifera L .) fruits in a semi-arid environment. Sci. Total Environ. 665: 690-697.
- Taddei A, Rodríguez MJ, Márquez-Vilchez E, Castelli C. 2006. Isolation and identification of Streptomyces spp. from Venezuelan soils: Morphological and biochemical studies. I. Microbiol. Res. 161: 222-231.
- Manfio GP, Zakrzewska-Czerwinska J, Atalan E, Goodfellow M. 1995. Towards minimal standards for description of Streptomyces species. Biotechnologia. 7: 228-237.
- Lertcanawanichakul M, Pondet K, Kwantep J. 2015. In vitro antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of bioactive compounds (secondary metabolites) extracted from Streptomyces lydicus A2. J. Appl. Pharm. Sci. 5: 17-21.
- Janardhan A, Kumar AP, Viswanath B, Saigopal DVR, Narasimha G. 2014. Production of bioactive compounds by actinomycetes and their antioxidant properties. Biotechnol. Res. Int. 2014: 217030.
- Dholakiya RN, Kumar R, Mishra A, Mody KH, Jha B. 2017. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of novel actinobacteria strain isolated from Gulf of Khambhat, Gujarat. Front. Microbiol. 8: 2420.
- Banerjee A, Bareh DA, Joshi SR. 2017. Native microorganisms as potent bioinoculants for plant growth promotion in shifting agriculture (Jhum) systems. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 17: 127-140.
- Sirohi G, Upadhyay A, Srivastava PS, Srivastava S. 2015. PGPR mediated Zinc biofertilization of soil and its impact on growth and productivity of wheat. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 15: 202-216.
- Çakmakçi R, Erat M, Erdoğan Ü, Dönmez MF. 2007. The influence of plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria on growth and enzyme activities in wheat and spinach plants. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci. 170: 288-295.
- Anjum SA, Ashraf U, Tanveer M, Khan I, Hussain S, Shahzad B, et al. 2017. Drought induced changes in growth, osmolyte accumulation and antioxidant metabolism of three maize hybrids. Front. Plant Sci. 08: 69.
- Gao F, Catalayud V, Paoletti E, Hoshika Y, Feng Z. 2017. Water stress mitigates the negative effects of ozone on photosynthesis and biomass in poplar plants. Environ. Pollut. 230: 268-279.
- Khan N, Zandi P, Ali S, Mehmood A, Shahid MA. 2018. Impact of salicylic acid and PGPR on the drought tolerance and phytoremediation potential of Helianthus annus. Front. Microbiol. 9: 2507.
- Khan N, Bano A, Zandi P. 2018. Effects of exogenously applied plant growth regulators in combination with PGPR on the physiology and root growth of chickpea (Cicer arietinum) and their role in drought tolerance . J. Plant Interact. 13: 239-247.
- Ghannoum O, Conroy JP, Driscoll SP, Paul MJ, Foyer CH, Lawlor DW. 2003. Nonstomatal limitations are responsible for droughtinduced photosynthetic inhibition in four C4 grasses. New Phytol. 159: 599-608.
- Kaushal M, Wani SP. 2016. Rhizobacterial-plant interactions: Strategies ensuring plant growth promotion under drought and salinity stress. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 231: 68-78.
- Hozzein WN, Abuelsoud W, Wadaan MAM, Shuikan AM, Selim S, Al Jaouni S, et al. 2019. Exploring the potential of actinomycetes in improving soil fertility and grain quality of economically important cereals. Sci. Total Environ. 651: 2787-2798.
- Dicko AH, Babana AH, Kassogué A, Fané R, Nantoumé D, Ouattara D, et al. 2018. A Malian native plant growth promoting Actinomycetes based biofertilizer improves maize growth and yield. Symbiosis 75: 267-275.
- Govindappa. 2012. Screening of Pseudomonas fluorescens isolates for biological control of Macrophomina phaseolina root-rot of safflower. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 6: 6256-6266.
- Vafadar F, Amooaghaie R, Otroshy M. 2014. Effects of plant-growth-promoting rhizobacteria and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus on plant growth, stevioside, NPK, and chlorophyll content of Stevia rebaudiana. J. Plant Interact. 9: 128-136.
- Fahad S, Hussain S, Bano A, Saud S, Hassan S, Shan D, et al. 2015. Potential role of phytohormones and plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria in abiotic stresses: consequences for changing environment. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 22: 4907-4921.
- Saleh AM, Selim S, Jaouni S Al, AbdElgawad H. 2018. CO2 enrichment can enhance the nutritional and health benefits of parsley (Petroselinum crispum L.) and dill (Anethum graveolens L.). Food Chem. 269: 519-526.
- Watanabe CK, Sato S, Yanagisawa S, Uesono Y, Terashima I, Noguchi K. 2014. Effects of elevated CO2 on levels of primary metabolites and transcripts of genes encoding respiratory enzymes and their diurnal patterns in arabidopsis thaliana: Possible relationships with respiratory rates. Plant Cell Physiol. 55: 341-357.
- Bartwal A, Mall R, Lohani P, Guru SK, Arora S. 2013. Role of secondary metabolites and brassinosteroids in plant defense against environmental stresses. J. Plant Growth Regul. 32: 216-232.
- Al-Alawi RA, Al-Mashiqri JH, Al-Nadabi JSM, Al-Shihi BI, Baqi Y. 2017. Date palm tree (Phoenix dactylifera L.): natural products and therapeutic options. Front. Plant Sci. 8: 845.
- Bacic A, Roessner U, Langridge P, Schnurbusch T, Bowne JB, Juttner J, et al. 2011. Drought responses of leaf tissues from wheat cultivars of differing drought tolerance at the metabolite level. Mol. Plant. 5: 418-429.
- Upchurch RG. 2008. Fatty acid unsaturation, mobilization, and regulation in the response of plants to stress. Biotechnol. Lett. 30:967-977.
- Sanchez J, Canales Castilla FJ, Tweed JKS, Lee MRF, Rubiales D, Gómez-Cadenas A, et al. 2018. Fatty acid profile changes during gradual soil water depletion in oats suggests a role for jasmonates in coping with drought. Front. Plant Sci. 9: 1077.
- Krasensky J, Jonak C. 2012. Drought, salt, and temperature stress-induced metabolic rearrangements and regulatory networks. J. Exp. Bot. 63: 1593-1608.
- Rhodes D, Nadolska-Orczyk A, Rich PJ. Salinity, Osmolytes and Compatible Solutes Salinity: Environment - Plants - Molecules. A Läuchli and U Lüttge, ed. pp. 181-204. Springer Netherlands.
- Shao H-B, Chu L-Y, Jaleel CA, Manivannan P, Panneerselvam R, Shao M-A. 2009. Understanding water deficit stress-induced changes in the basic metabolism of higher plants-biotechnologically and sustainably improving agriculture and the ecoenvironment in arid regions of the globe. Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 29: 131-151.
- Sekmen AH, Ozgur R, Uzilday B, Turkan I. 2014. Reactive oxygen species scavenging capacities of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) cultivars under combined drought and heat induced oxidative stress. Environ. Exp. Bot. 99: 141-149.
- Tomczyk M, Gudej J. 2002. Quercetin and kaempferol glycosides from Ficaria verna flowers and their structure studied by 2D NMR spectroscopy. Pol. J. Chem. 76: 1601-1606.
- Apel K, Hirt H. 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 55: 373399.
- Saleh AM, Hassan YM, Selim S, AbdElgawad H. 2019. NiO-nanoparticles induce reduced phytotoxic hazards in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) grown under future climate CO2. Chemosphere 220: 1047-1057.
- Hassan YM, Hamed BA, Khodary SA, Hamouda OHI. 2017. Salt stress mitigation by seed priming with olive waste of Phaseolus vulgaris L. Nat. Sci. 15: 145-154.
- Vardharajula S, Zulfikar Ali S, Grover M, Reddy G, Bandi V. 2011. Drought-tolerant plant growth promoting Bacillus spp.: effect on growth, osmolytes, and antioxidant status of maize under drought stress. J. Plant Interact. 6: 1-14.