Related articles in JMB
Optimization and Pretreatment for Hot Water Extraction of Korean Deer (Cervus canadensis Erxleben) Velvet Antlers
1School of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 41566, Republic of Korea, 2Department of Food Science and Technology and BK 21 Plus Program, Graduate School of Chonnam National University, Gwangju 61186, Republic of Korea, 3Institute of Food and Nutritional Sciences, PMAS-Arid Agriculture University, Rawalpindi 46300, Pakistan, 4Department of Plant and Food Sciences, Sangmyung University, Choenan 31066, Republic of Korea, 5Food and Bio-industry Research Institute, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 41566, Republic of KoreaCorrespondence to:
J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2020; 30(8): 1116-1123
Published August 28, 2020
Copyright © The Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- Ameer K, Shahbaz HM, Kwon JH. 2017. Green extraction methods for polyphenols from plant matrices and their byproducts: A review. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. F. 16: 295-315.
- Earnest CP, Quindry J, Panton L, Broeder C. 2015. Effect of deer antler velvet on aerobic, anaerobic and strength performance. Cent. Eur. J. Sport Sci. Med. 9: 17-26.
- Zhao L, Mi Y, Guan H, Xu Y, Mei Y. 2016. Velvet antler peptide prevents pressure overload-induced cardiac fibrosis via transforming growth factor (TGF)-β1 pathway inhibition. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 783: 33-46.
- Hamdani AM, Wani IA, Bhat NA. 2019. Sources, structure, properties and health benefits of plant gums: A review. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 135: 46-61.
- Kang NJ, Jin HS, Lee SE, Kim HJ, Koh H, Lee DW. 2020. New approaches towards the discovery and evaluation of bioactive peptides from natural resources. Crit. Rev. Env. Sci. Tec. 50: 72-103.
- Ojha S, Aznar R, O’Donnell C, Tiwari BK. 2019. Ultrasound technology for the extraction of biologically active molecules from plant, animal and marine sources. TrAC-Trend. Anal. Chem. 122: 115663.
- Cheng SL, Jian YL, Chen CM, Liu BT. 2017. Relationships between antioxidants and quality characteristics from velvet antlers of formosan sambar deer. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 37: 542-551.
- Wu F, Li H, Jin L, Li X, Ma Y, You J, et al. 2013. Deer antler base as a traditional Chinese medicine: a review of its traditional uses, chemistry and pharmacology. J. Ethnopharmacol. 145: 403-415.
- Zhao L, Wang X, Zhang XL, Xie QF. 2016. Purification and identification of anti-inflammatory peptides derived from simulated gastrointestinal digests of velvet antler protein (Cervus elaphus Linnaeus). J. Food Drug Anal. 24: 376-384.
- Sui Z, Zhang L, Huo Y, Zhang Y. 2014. Bioactive components of velvet antlers and their pharmacological properties. J. Pharm. Biomed. 87: 229-240.
- Pandey R, Prabhu AA, Dasu VV. 2018. Purification of recombinant human interferon gamma from fermentation broth using reverse micellar extraction: A process optimization study. Sep. Sci. Technol. 53: 487-495.
- Melani Hariyadi D, Setyawan D, Suciati S, Chang HI, Suryawan IPGN, Utama AW. 2019. Extraction and preformulation study of deer antler velvet extract: physical characterization of aqueous and ethanol extract. Int. J. Drug Deliv. Technol. 9: 151-159.
- Rangsimawong W, Tansathien K, Wattanakul A, Ngawhirunpat T, Opanasopit P. 2019. Extraction method of protein and insulin-like growth factor-1 from deer antler velvets for skin rejuvenation. Key Eng. Mater. 819: 73-78.
- Zhang Y, Zhang LZ, Lin Y, Zhou QL. 2013. Comparison of structure and biological activity of natural polypeptide from velvet antlers of Cervus elaphus with those of synthesized polypeptide. Chem. Res. Chinese U. 29: 924-928.
- Jin JH, Chun EH, Hyun JH, Choi SW, Su ST, Kim W, et al. 2015. Optimization of hot water extraction and ultra high pressure extraction for deer antler. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 24: 507-512.
- Korean Food Standard Code (KMHW). 1997. Korean food standard code. p. 507. The Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare
- Warren L. 1959. Sialic acid in human semen and in the male genital tract. J. Clin. Invest. 38: 755-761.
- Kim JH, Yoo CJ, Sin KA, Jang SY, Park NY, Jeong YJ. 2011. Changes in properties of deer antler by proteolysis and extraction conditions. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40: 89-93.
- Lee BY, Lee OH, Choi HS. 2003. Analysis of food components of Korean deer antler parts. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 35: 52-56.
- Smith PK, Krohn RI, Hermanson GT, Mallia AK, Gartner FH, Frovenzano MD, et al. 1985. Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid. Anal. Chem. 150: 79-85.
- Hassas-Roudsari M, Chang PR, Pegg RB, Tyler RT. 2009. Antioxidant capacity of bioactives extracted from canola meal by subcritical water, ethanolic and hot water extraction. Food Chem. 114: 717-726.
- Lan YR, Huang S, Zhao F, Wu H, Guo Y. 2020. Optimization of enzymatic hydrolysis conditions for antioxidant peptide preparation from velvet antler collagen by response surface methodology. Chin. J. Process Eng. 20: 91-98.
- Liu YF, Oey I, Bremer P, Carne A, Silcock P. 2018. Bioactive peptides derived from egg proteins: a review. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. 58: 25082530.
- Li X, Dang S, Yan C, Gong X, Wang J, Shi Y. 2013. Structure of a presenilin family intramembrane aspartate protease. Nature 493: 56-61.
- Memarpoor-Yazdi M, Asoodeh A, Chamani J. 2012. A novel antioxidant and antimicrobial peptide from hen egg white lysozyme hydrolysates. J. Funct. Foods 4: 278-286.
- Sun X, Gänzle M, Field CJ, Wu J. 2016. Effect of proteolysis on the sialic acid content and bifidogenic activity of ovomucin hydrolysates. Food Chem. 212: 78-86.
- Zhao L, Luo YC, Wang CT, Ji BP. 2011. Antioxidant activity of protein hydrolysates from aqueous extract of velvet antler (Cervus elaphus) as influenced by molecular weight and enzymes. Nat. Prod. Commun. 6: 1683-1688.
- Spichtig V, Michaud J, Austin S. 2010. Determination of sialic acids in milks and milk-based products. Anal. Biochem. 405: 28-40.
- Ding Y, Ko SC, Moon SH, Lee SH. 2019. Protective effects of novel antioxidant peptide purified from alcalase hydrolysate of velvet antler against oxidative stress in Chang liver cells in vitro and in a zebrafish model in vivo. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 20: 5187.
- Hedstrom L. 2002. Serine protease mechanism and specificity. Chem. Rev. 102: 4501-4524.
- Radisky ES, Lee JM, Lu CJK, Koshland DE. 2006. Insights into the serine protease mechanism from atomic resolution structures of trypsin reaction intermediates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 6835-6840.
- Mamboya EAF. 2012. Papain, a plant enzyme of biological importance: A review. Am. J. Biochem. Biotechnol. 8: 99-104.
- Harrison MJ, Burton NA, Hillier IH. 1997. Catalytic mechanism of the enzyme papain: predictions with a hybrid quantum mechanical/molecular mechanical potential. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 119: 12285-12291.
- Papamichael EM, Theodorou LG, Bieth JG. 2004. Insight into catalytic mechanism of papain-like cysteine proteinases. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 118: 171-175.
- Dunn BM. 2002. Structure and mechanism of the pepsin-like family of aspartic peptidases. Chem. Rev. 102: 4431-4458.
- Fruton JS. 2002. A history of pepsin and related enzymes. Q. Rev. Biol. 77: 127-147.
- Bender ML, Kaiser ET. 1962. The mechanism of trypsin-catalyzed hydrolyses. the cinnamoyl-trypsin intermediate 1-3. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 84: 2556-2561.
- Weiner SJ, Seibel GL, Kollman PA. 1986. The nature of enzyme catalysis in trypsin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83: 649-653.
- Yao N. 2017. Research on extraction and properties of antler plate collagen protein. Adv. Eng. Res. 107: 197-201.