Related articles in JMB
Research article | 2020-01-28
Smilax guianensis Vitman extract prevents LPS-induced inflammation by inhibiting the NF-κB pathway in RAW 264.7 cellsJu Gyeong Kim , Min Jeong Kim , Ji Su Lee , Kongmany Sydara , Sangwoo Lee , Sanguine Byun and Sung Keun JungResearch article | 1999-02-28
Comparison of Nitric Oxide, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Cytokine Production in RAW 264.7 Cells by Bifidobacterium and Other Intestinal BacteriaResearch article | 2018-01-28
Research articleMolecular and Cellular Microbiology (MCM) | Biochemistry and Physiology
Croton hirtus L'Hér Extract Prevents Inflammation in RAW264.7 Macrophages Via Inhibition of NF-κB Signaling PathwayMin Jeong Kim 1, Ju Gyeong Kim 1, Kong Many Sydara 2, Sang Woo Lee 3 and Sung Keun Jung 1, 4*
1School of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 41566, Republic of Korea, 2Ministry of Health, Institute of Traditional Medicine, Vientiane 116, Lao PDR, 3International Biological Material Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Daejeon, 34141, Republic of Korea, 4Institute of Agricultural Science & Technology, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 41566, Republic of KoreaReceived: August 23, 2019; Accepted: November 11, 2019
J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2020; 30(4): 490-496
Published April 28, 2020
Copyright © The Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology.
AbstractConsumption of anti-inflammatory nutraceuticals may help treat or prevent inflammation-related illnesses such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. This study evaluated the effect of Croton hirtus L'Hér extract (CHE) on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced nitric oxide (NO) production and nuclear factor kappa-B (NF-κB) signaling cascades. CHE significantly suppressed LPS-induced NO production and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression in RAW264.7 macrophages, although cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 expression was not affected. CHE also suppressed LPS-induced IκB kinase (IKK), IκB, and p65 phosphorylation in RAW264.7 cells. Western blot and immunofluorescence assays of cytosol and nuclear p65 and the catalytic subunit of NF-κB showed that CHE suppressed LPS-induced p65 translocation from the cytosol to the nucleus. CHE also suppressed LPS-induced Interleukin (IL)-6 and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α production in RAW264.7 cells. These results suggest that CHE prevents NO-mediated inflammation by suppressing NF-κB and inflammatory cytokines..
KeywordsCroton hirtus L, inflammation, NF-&kappa,B, nutraceuticals, macrophage, nitric oxide
- Kauppinen A, Suuronen T, Ojala J, Kaarniranta K, Salminen A. 2013. Antagonistic crosstalk between NF-kappaB and SIRT1 in the regulation of inflammation and metabolic disorders. Cell Signal. 25: 1939-1948.
- Okabe Y, Medzhitov R. 2016. Tissue biology perspective on macrophages. Nat. Immunol. 17: 9-17.
- Rosadini CV, Kagan JC. 2017. Early innate immune responses to bacterial LPS. Curr. Opin. Immunol. 44: 14-19.
- Shi J, Zhao Y, Wang Y, Gao W, Ding J, Li P, et al. 2014. Inflammatory caspases are innate immune receptors for intracellular LPS. Nature 514: 187-192.
- Lu G, Zhang R, Geng S, Peng L, Jayaraman P, Chen C, et al. 2015. Myeloid cell-derived inducible nitric oxide synthase suppresses M1 macrophage polarization. Nat. Commun. 6: 6676.
- Sharma JN, Al-Omran A, Parvathy SS. 2007. Role of nitric oxide in inflammatory diseases. Inflammopharmacology 15: 252-259.
- Park MH, Hong JT. 2016. Roles of NF-kappaB in cancer and inflammatory diseases and their therapeutic approaches. Cells 5: 15.
- Sun SC. 2017. The non-canonical NF-kappaB pathway in immunity and inflammation. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 17: 545-558.
- Guha M, Mackman N. 2001. LPS induction of gene expression in human monocytes. Cell Signal. 13: 85-94.
- Berry PE, Hipp AL, Wurdack KJ, Van Ee B, Riina R. 2005. Molecular phylogenetics of the giant genus croton and tribe crotoneae (Euphorbiaceae sensu stricto) using ITS and TRNL-TRNF DNA sequence data. Am. J. Bot. 92: 1520-1534.
- Salatino A, Salatino MLF, Negri G. 2007. Traditional uses, chemistry and pharmacology of Croton species (Euphorbiaceae). J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 18: 11-33.
- Soromou LW, Zhang Z, Li R, Chen N, Guo W, Huo M, et al. 2012. Regulation of inflammatory cytokines in lipopolysaccharidestimulated RAW 264.7 murine macrophage by 7-O-methyl-naringenin. Molecules 17: 3574-3585.
- Buchanan MM, Hutchinson M, Watkins LR, Yin H. 2010. Toll-like receptor 4 in CNS pathologies. J. Neurochem. 114: 13-27.
- Ryo A, Suizu F, Yoshida Y, Perrem K, Liou YC, Wulf G, et al. 2003. Regulation of NF-kappaB signaling by Pin1-dependent prolyl isomerization and ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis of p65/RelA. Mol. Cell. 12: 1413-1426.
- Luyendyk JP, Schabbauer GA, Tencati M, Holscher T, Pawlinski R, Mackman N. 2008. Genetic analysis of the role of the PI3K-Akt pathway in lipopolysaccharide-induced cytokine and tissue factor gene expression in monocytes/macrophages. J. Immunol. 180:4218-4226.
- Cencic A, Chingwaru W. 2010. The role of functional foods, nutraceuticals, and food supplements in intestinal health. Nutrients 2:611-625.
- Sadhukhan P, Saha S, Dutta S, Mahalanobish S, Sil PC. 2018. Nutraceuticals: An emerging therapeutic approach against the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Pharmacol. Res. 129: 100-114.
- Bogdan C. 2001. Nitric oxide and the immune response. Nat. Immunol. 2: 907-916.
- Fang ZJ, Zhang T, Chen SX, Wang YL, Zhou CX, Mo JX, et al. 2019. Cycloartane triterpenoids from Actaea vaginata with antiinflammatory effects in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophages. Phytochemistry 160: 1-10.
- Jung S, Lee MS, Choi AJ, Kim CT, Kim Y. 2019. Anti-inflammatory effects of high hydrostatic pressure extract of mulberry (Morus alba) fruit on LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 Cells. Molecules 24: 1425.
- Lee J, Ha SJ, Lee HJ, Kim MJ, Kim JH, Kim YT, et al. 2016. Protective effect of Tremella fuciformis Berk extract on LPS-induced acute inflammation via inhibition of the NF-kappaB and MAPK pathways. Food Funct. 7: 3263-3272.
- Song KM, Ha SJ, Lee JE, Kim SH, Kim YH, Kim Y, et al. 2015. High yield ultrasonication extraction method for Undaria pinnatifida sporophyll and its anti-inflammatory properties associated with AP-1 pathway suppression. Lwt-Food Sci. Technol. 64: 1315-1322.
- Beck PL, Li Y, Wong J, Chen CW, Keenan CM, Sharkey KA, et al. 2007. Inducible nitric oxide synthase from bone marrow-derived cells plays a critical role in regulating colonic inflammation. Gastroenterology 132: 1778-1790.
- D'Alessio FR, Tsushima K, Aggarwal NR, Mock JR, Eto Y, Garibaldi BT, et al. 2012. Resolution of experimental lung injury by monocyte-derived inducible nitric oxide synthase. J. Immunol. 189: 2234-2245.
- Pereira-Leite C, Nunes C, Jamal SK, Cuccovia IM, Reis S. 2017. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory therapy: a journey toward safety. Med. Res. Rev. 37: 802-859.
- Jeong YE, Lee MY. 2018. Anti-inflammatory activity of populus deltoides leaf extract via modulating NF-kappaB and p38/JNK pathways. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 19: 3746.
- Park JY, Kwon YW, Lee SC, Park SD, Lee JH. 2017. Herbal formula SC-E1 suppresses lipopolysaccharide-stimulated inflammatory responses through activation of Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathway in RAW 264.7 macrophages. BMC Complement. Altern. Med. 17(1):374.
- Morgan MJ, Liu ZG. 2011. Crosstalk of reactive oxygen species and NF-kappaB signaling. Cell Res. 21: 103-115.
- Hayden MS, Ghosh S. 2012. NF-kappaB, the first quarter-century: remarkable progress and outstanding questions. Genes Dev. 26:203-234.
- Christian F, Smith EL, Carmody RJ. 2016. The Regulation of NF-kappaB Subunits by Phosphorylation. Cells 5: 12.
- Giridharan S, Srinivasan M. 2018. Mechanisms of NF-kappaB p65 and strategies for therapeutic manipulation. J. Inflamm. Res. 11:407-419.
- Wuertz K, Vo N, Kletsas D, Boos N. 2012. Inflammatory and catabolic signalling in intervertebral discs: the roles of NF-kappaB and MAP kinases. Eur. Cell Mater. 23: 103-120.
- Peroval MY, Boyd AC, Young JR, Smith AL. 2013. A critical role for MAPK signalling pathways in the transcriptional regulation of toll like receptors. PLoS One 8: e51243.
- Ma JQ, Li Z, Xie WR, Liu CM, Liu SS. 2015. Quercetin protects mouse liver against CCl(4)-induced inflammation by the TLR2/4 and MAPK/NF-kappaB pathway. Int. Immunopharmacol. 28: 531-539.
- Wang XM, Lehky TJ, Brell JM, Dorsey SG. 2012. Discovering cytokines as targets for chemotherapy-induced painful peripheral neuropathy. Cytokine 59: 3-9.
- Zhang JM, An J. 2007. Cytokines, inflammation, and pain. Int. Anesthesiol. Clin. 45: 27-37.
- Chaudhry H, Zhou J, Zhong Y, Ali MM, McGuire F, Nagarkatti PS, et al. 2013. Role of cytokines as a double-edged sword in sepsis. In Vivo 27: 669-684.
- Shim DW, Han JW, Sun X, Jang CH, Koppula S, Kim TJ, et al. 2013. Lysimachia clethroides Duby extract attenuates inflammatory response in RAW264.7 macrophages stimulated with lipopolysaccharide and in acute lung injury mouse model. J. Ethnopharmacol. 150: 1007-1015.