Related articles in JMB
Research article | 2020-03-28
Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Hepatitis C Virus in Clinical Blood Samples Using Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Spiral ReactionResearch article | 2019-03-28
Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Salmonella in Chickens Using Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Combined with a Lateral Flow DipstickZhi Ke Liu , Qiu Yu Zhang , Ning-Ning Yang , Ming-Guo Xu , Jin-Feng Xu , Ming-Long Jing , Wen-Xing Wu , Ya-Dong Lu , Feng Shi and Chuang-Fu ChenResearch article | 2018-11-28
Research articleFood Biotechnology (FB) | Food Biotechnology
Establishment and Application of Polymerase Spiral Reaction Amplification for Salmonella Detection in FoodWenli Xu 1, Jun Gao 1, Haoyue Zheng 1, Chaowen Yuan 1, Jinlong Hou 1, Liguo Zhang 2 and Guoqing Wang 1*
1College of Life and Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Shenyang 110001, P.R. China, 2Center for Animal Disease Emergency of Liaoning province, Shenyang, 110161, P. R. ChinaReceived: June 13, 2019; Accepted: September 2, 2019
J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2019; 29(10): 1543-1552
Published October 28, 2019
Copyright © The Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology.
AbstractSalmonella is a common zoonotic and foodborne pathogen that causes high morbidity and mortality in developing countries. In this study, we established and validated a polymerase spiral reaction (PSR) assay which targeted the conserved invasion gene (invA) of Salmonella by SYBR Green I indicator methods. Subsequently, assays for determination of the optimal conditions for optimal specificity and sensitivity of PSR were performed. We performed comprehensive evaluations using loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) and realtime PCR. A total number of 532 samples of daily food were analyzed by PSR. Twenty-seven bacterial strains were tested in the specificity assay, from which positive results were obtained only for 14-Salmonella strains. However, none of the 13 non-Salmonella strains was amplified. Similarly with LAMP and real-time PCR, the detection limit of the PSR assay was 50 CFU/ml. The PSR method was also successfully applied to evaluate the contamination with Salmonella in 532 samples of daily food, corroborating traditional culture method data. The novel PSR method is simple, sensitive, and rapid and provides new insights into the prevention and detection of foodborne diseases.
KeywordsSalmonella, invasion gene A, isothermal amplification, rapid detection, food samples
- McClelland M, Sanderson KE, Spieth J, Clifton SW, Latreille P, Courtney L, et al. 2001. Complete genome sequence of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium LT2. Nature 413:852-856.
- Carvajal-Restrepo H, Sanchez-Jimenez MM, Diaz-Rodriguez S, Cardona-Castro N. 2017. Detection of Salmonella human carriers in Colombian outbreak areas. J. Infect. Dev. Ctries 11:228-233.
- Lopes ATS, Albuquerque GR, Maciel BM. 2018. Multiplex real-time polymerase chain reaction for simultaneous quantification of Salmonella spp., Escherichia coli, and Staphylococcus aureus in different food matrices: advantages and disadvantages. Biomed. Res. Int. 2018: 6104015.
- Vinayaka AC, Ngo TA, Kant K, Engelsmann P, Dave VP, Shahbazi MA, et al. 2019. Rapid detection of Salmonella enterica in food samples by a novel approach with combination of sample concentration and direct PCR. Biosens. Bioelectron. 129: 224-230.
- Hendriksen SW, Orsel K, Wagenaar JA, Miko A, van Duijkeren E. 2004. Animal-to-human transmission of Salmonella Typhimurium DT104A variant. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 10: 2225-2227.
- Srisawat M, Panbangred W. 2015. Efficient and specific detection of Salmonella in food samples using a stn-based loop-mediated isothermal amplification method. Biomed. Res. Int. 2015: 356401.
- Abdullah J, Saffie N, Sjasri FA, Husin A, Abdul-Rahman Z, Ismail A, et al. 2014. Rapid detection of Salmonella Typhi by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method. Braz. J. Microbiol. 45: 1385-1391.
- Yang Q, Domesle KJ, Ge B. 2018. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification for Salmonella detection in food and feed:Current applications and future directions. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 15: 309-331.
- Carloni E, Rotundo L, Brandi G, Amagliani G. 2018. Rapid and simultaneous detection of Salmonella spp., Escherichia coli O157, and Listeria monocytogenes by magnetic capture hybridization and multiplex real-time PCR. Folia Microbiol (Praha). 63: 735-742.
- Yang Q, Domesle KJ, Wang F, Ge B. 2016. Rapid detection of Salmonella in food and feed by coupling loop-mediated isothermal amplification with bioluminescent assay in realtime. BMC Microbiol. 16: 112.
- Balachandran P, Friberg M, Vanlandingham V, Kozak K, Manolis A, Brevnov M, et al. 2012. Rapid detection of Salmonella in pet food: design and evaluation of integrated methods based on real-time PCR detection. J. Food Prot. 75:347-352.
- Li X, Zhang S, Zhang H, Zhang L, Tao H, Yu J, et al. 2009. A loop-mediated isothermal amplification method targets the phoP gene for the detection of Salmonella in food samples. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 133: 252-258.
- Lofstrom C, Schelin J, Norling B, Vigre H, Hoorfar J, Radstrom P. 2011. Culture-independent quantification of Salmonella enterica in carcass gauze swabs by flotation prior to real-time PCR. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 145 (Suppl 1): S103-109.
- Mashooq M, Kumar D, Niranjan AK, Agarwal RK, Rathore R. 2016. Development and evaluation of probe based real time loop mediated isothermal amplification for Salmonella: a new tool for DNA quantification. J. Microbiol. Methods 126:24-29.
- Notomi T, Okayama H, Masubuchi H, Yonekawa T, Watanabe K, Amino N, et al. 2000. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification of DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 28: E63.
- Horisaka T, Fujita K, Iwata T, Nakadai A, Okatani AT, Horikita T, et al. 2004. Sensitive and specific detection of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. J. Clin. Microbiol. 42: 5349-5352.
- Soli KW, Kas M, Maure T, Umezaki M, Morita A, Siba PM, et al. 2013. Evaluation of colorimetric detection methods for Shigella, Salmonella, and Vibrio cholerae by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 77:321-323.
- Zhuang L, Gong J, Li Q, Zhu C, Yu Y, Dou X, et al. 2014. Detection of Salmonella spp. by a loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method targeting bcfD gene. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 59: 658-664.
- Liu W, Dong D, Yang Z, Zou D, Chen Z, Yuan J, et al. 2015. Polymerase Spiral Reaction (PSR): a novel isothermal nucleic acid amplification method. Sci. Rep. 5: 12723.
- Gupta V, Chakravarti S, Chander V, Majumder S, Bhat SA, Gupta VK, et al. 2017. Polymerase spiral reaction (PSR): a novel, visual isothermal amplification method for detection of canine parvovirus 2 genomic DNA. Arch. Virol. 162: 1995-2001.
- Jiang X, Dong D, Bian L, Zou D, He X, Ao D, et al. 2016. Rapid detection of Candida albicans by polymerase spiral reaction assay in clinical blood samples. Front Microbiol. 7: 916.
- Galan JE, Ginocchio C, Costeas P. 1992. Molecular and functional characterization of the Salmonella invasion gene invA: homology of InvA to members of a new protein family. J. Bacteriol. 174: 4338-4349.
- Garrido-Maestu A, Azinheiro S, Carvalho J, Abalde-Cela S, Carbo-Argibay E, Dieguez L, et al. 2017. Combination of microfluidic loop-mediated isothermal amplification with gold nanoparticles for rapid detection of Salmonella spp. in food samples. Front Microbiol. 8: 2159.
- Hara-Kudo Y, Yoshino M, Kojima T, Ikedo M. 2005. Loopmediated isothermal amplification for the rapid detection of Salmonella. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 253: 155-161.
- Kasturi KN, Drgon T. 2017. Real-Time PCR method for detection of Salmonella spp. in environmental samples. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 83:14.
- Malorny B, Bunge C, Helmuth R. 2007. A real-time PCR for the detection of Salmonella Enteritidis in poultry meat and consumption eggs. J. Microbiol. Methods. 70: 245-251.
- Sanchez-Vargas FM, Abu-El-Haija MA, Gomez-Duarte OG. 2011. Salmonella infections: an update on epidemiology, management, and prevention. Travel Med. Infect. Dis. 9: 263-277.
- Bai L, Zhao J, Gan X, Wang J, Zhang X, Cui S, et al. 2016. Emergence and diversity of Salmonella enterica serovar indiana isolates with concurrent resistance to ciprofloxacin and cefotaxime from patients and food-producing animals in China. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 60: 3365-3371.
- Gong J, Kelly P, Wang C. 2017. Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella enterica serovar indiana in China (1984-2016). Zoonoses Public Health 64: 239-251.
- Liu Z, Zhang Q, Yang NN, Xu MG, Xu JF, Jing ML, et al. 2019. Rapid and sensitive detection of Salmonella in chickens using loop-mediated isothermal amplification combined with a lateral flow dipstick. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 29: 454-464.
- Wang YX, Zhang AY, Yang YQ, Lei CW, Cheng GY, Zou WC, et al. 2018. Sensitive and rapid detection of Salmonella enterica serovar Indiana by cross-priming amplification. J. Microbiol. Methods. 153: 24-30.